Blog News


Because the real Opiate of the Asses goes by the name "Ego" now. Fuck you.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

On Dark Humor

As a realist, and a man of science (or so I like to claim), I make myself look at all sides of an issue before I make a conclusive decision about it. I do this in adherence with the theory of argument, that conceding points can make your argument stronger. While I do admit I am biased on some points and positions, I do my best to consider all viewpoints of any situation.

And when I say any situation, I mean ANY situation.

This mindset is the reason I can appreciate dark humor. Everything has a funny side, no matter how awful, sickening or depressing it is. I can find the humor in everything from dead baby jokes to 9/11. It doesn't mean I don't consider the countless deaths and brutality involved in the incident, it doesn't mean I don't realize the political and moral effects and implications it has. I consider myself a very moral individual. I abhor  injustice, ignorance, and needless bloodshed, but I also believe everything has a funny side.

Making jokes about these things is almost like an unconscious morale boost. It makes a stressful concept in the mind a little less serious, allows you to cope with it better, and it keeps you from being one of those morons that say "Someone might get offended at this so I'll get offended for them".

Yes there are people who were traumatized by certain events that should be kept away from dark humor. Yes there are people who lost loved ones in the 9/11 attacks. Being a moral person, you have an obligation to avoid making insensitive comments around those people and to make sure no one is going to be offended before you crack a dark joke. That's just a general rule of "Don't be a dick". However, no one is forcing them to look at pictures of dark humor.

For example, I follow a few pages on Facebook including Derp and Not Listening to Lil Wayne. These pages post a lot of dark humor that I'm able to enjoy. The also post a lot of hate mail they get for the dark humor they post. If you don't like what they post, don't follow them. No one is forcing you to follow them. No one is forcing you to look at dark humor. You chose to like that page, and you can choose not to without being a dumbass. Dark humor isn't for everyone, but you have no right to spoil our fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment